At Star Systems Talent, we host top-notch kids dance competitions across the US. We think dance competitions are such an important part of any young dancer’s experience and do our part to offer dance comps across the US. We welcome dancers of all experience levels and want nothing more than for dancers to leave our competitions excited to come back for the next one! Check out these six benefits competitive dance for young performers:
Benefits Of Competitive Dance!
- Build Confidence: Perhaps this one factor will carry a child into adulthood more than anything else on this list. How cool is it to see elementary-aged kids get up in front of judges and hundreds of strangers and dance? Few activities give kids as much of an opportunity to stand in front of an audience and perform as competitive dance. Of course, winning helps to boost confidence, but even dancers who don’t place come out with more self-esteem than before.
- Improve Technique: Nothing gets dancers to sharpen their moves more quickly than an upcoming competition. While a dance teacher does their part to help ensure dancers are performing moves flawlessly, when a judge offers their critique, that goes a long way.
- It’s Who You Know: Of course, dance competitions have the benefit of exposing dancers to dozens of industry elites. Your dancer can come back year after year and build connections with influential people in the dance industry. This can come in handy if they choose to attend a professional dance academy later.
- Learn How To Win (And Lose) Gracefully: This is a skill dancers will carry with them throughout their lives if it is solidified in adolescence. No one likes a sore winner or a sore loser, and competition kids will experience a lot of both — some more than others. While the first couple wins might include boastful gloating and the losses might prompt tantrums, use these as learning opportunities so they can come back with their head held high next time.
- Extracurriculars Are Key: Speaking of attending a dance academy, regardless of where your child’s future takes them, one thing is certain: having extracurricular activities listed on a resume can go a long way when it comes to applying for jobs or colleges. Even if your dancer doesn’t place at competitions, simply competing in them helps to make them a well-rounded individual.
- Dance Competitions Are Fun: Of course, if the kids didn’t have fun, all of these benefits would be for nothing. Dance competitions give dancers the opportunity to bond with their teammates and show off that routine they’ve been working so hard on. They also have the chance to meet and connect with other dancers from other states, learn from each other, and make new life-long friends.
Register For A Regional Dance Competition Soon!
The competition season is well underway, but that doesn’t mean it’s too late to join a competition! We have several upcoming dance comps coming up in the next few months, so be sure to check out our List Of Dance Competitions 2018 to get registered! We look forward to seeing you there!